Wednesday, August 23, 2006

walking in the woods

I met her walking in the woods. It was late fall. We had the trail to ourselves. We were both outfitted for the night, so we set up camp together near a tiny lake just below the tree line. We talked for a short time, then retired to our tents.

When I awoke, she was building a fire. Her long brown hair partially concealed her bare back and shoulders. I made a noise. She turned around. She was naked to the waist and unashamed. She smiled at me with her eyes and said good morning.

We spent the whole day walking. For the fun of it, we agreed not to tell each other our names, or where we were from, or what we did for a living. She said she was tired of paralyzing definitions. I said I understood.

That evening we spent the night together near a meadow at about seven thousand feet. It was warmer there, so we slept under the stars. But first we sang. She had a beautiful voice. It was easy to listen to and much better than mine.